The Steamspur Company
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Steamspur Company

Roleplaying guild at Piken Square [EU]

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Application - Avikk Derrington.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Avikk

Avikk

Application - Avikk Derrington. Empty
PostSubject: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:51 pm

PLAYER INFORMATION:
How long (approximately) have you been playing World of Warcraft?

I have been playing World of Warcraft from 2006 onwards from the very end of the Vanilla era, beginning just after the release of Ahn'Qiraj. I believe this was Patch 1.9.

How confident would you say you are with the English language?

I am a native English speaker and an amateur writer, so I am very confident when it comes to speaking, reading and writing in English.

What experience do you have with roleplaying in the past?

I was involved in Live Action Roleplaying events from early 2009 until September 2010. I have been an avid roleplayer on The Sha'tar on the Alliance side since October 2010. I did have a brief encounter with roleplay whilst playing LotRO, but it was not a substantial amount of time. As previously stated, I am an amateur writer and have created a few small story arc events on the Alliance side with a very satisfying degree of success.

What experience do you have within the World of Warcraft?

From 'Fury of the Sunwell' until the 'Fall of the Lich King', I have moved between being a casual to a hardcore raider, with mixed success and failure. My guildmates and I were able to reach M'uru/Entropius before the new content, and I have successfully completed Naxxramas (10 and 25), Obsidium Sanctum (10 and 25, 3 Drakes), Eye of Eternity (10) and Vault of Archavon (10 and 25) as a hardcore raider, and Trial of the Crusader (10) Onyxia (10) and Icecrown Citadel (10) with a casual guild. Overall, my favorite boss would have to either be Professor Putricide (due to the sheer memorability and tactical chaos you must deal with in order to defeat him) or Malygos (due to the technicolor scheme of the arena's layout and having a lot of memorable moments when facing him).
As a roleplayer, I have been an Adviser of a moderately successful guild on The Sha'tar Alliance and previously ran a miniature story arc known as 'The Death of Elgar Mulberry', a murder mystery set in Theramore.
Unfortunately, I have had minimal experience with PvP during my time here, having only dabbled in it now and again. However I managed to collect the Rare PvP set during the early days of Wrath of the Lich King and enjoyed many expeditions to the Vault of Archavon, having to secure Wintergrasp along the way.

If you were to join the guild, what would you bring to the strong OOC community the guild shares?

If I were to join the guild, I would bring with me a wide experience of the game, as well as long and elaborate rambling stories, be they about me or something that I made up to amuse both myself and guild members who enjoy a good story. I have been told that I also have a very witty sense of humour, so I believe I will also bring that to the guild as well.

If you were to join the guild, how often would you be able to play?

I am usually available to play during the evenings and weekends, depending on my work schedule. However, I am an avid player and I try to make it online when a quiet moment is to be found.

If you were to join the guild what would be your priority when online?

Making friends and being a part of the community has always been the cornerstone for why I join any guild, and it remains true here as well. I had a absolutely marvelous time when meeting the members in Brill, and I hope that can continue.
Secondly, I would like to explore and adapt my character and help the members to do so as well. Character creation is a beautiful thing, especially when there is a noticeable arc and a change to character motivations and aspirations over time, and I would love to see that happen in the guild.

Why do you wish to join the guild?

I wish to join because of the absolutely impeccable first impression that your members gave me during my roleplay session with them in Brill. They were warm (please do pardon the pun), friendly and inviting, and it would be my honor and privilege to be in a guild with them. I also am very curious as to what a Forsaken run guild would be like, because the mindset of the Forsaken is so unlike any other race that I can think of.

CHARACTER INFORMATION
Name: Avikk Derrington

Current Occupation: Scribe, Magician and Historical Researcher.

Race: Undead Human

Level: 20

In-game Class & Spec': Arcane Mage

IC Class: Mage, Scribe

Hair Colour: Green

Eye Colour: Gold

Height: 6"0

Of the three Forsaken factions the guild represents: The Royal Apothecary Society, The Deathguard and The Deathstalkers. Which do you feel your character would fit in with best and why?

Studying each of the factions, Avikk would be best suited for The Royal Apothecary Society. Research is an incredibly important necessity when beginning any project and acquiring new knowledge is something that Avikk strives for. His experience with herbs (a feature that is an absolute necessity for a Scribe) would be able to benefit the Alchemists and Apothecaries that he is no doubt bound to meet within the Society.
Though he is a rather tall man, Avikk's spindly figure is not built for a straight fight that Deathguards must deal with, and though he has an apt knowledge of poisons he does not possess the reflexes and stealth to be a Deathstalker.

How does your character feel about the place of the Forsaken in the Horde? And how does he/she react to other races within the Horde?

Being newly risen by the Val'kyr, Avikk has had very little first hand experience with the Horde other than collecting their histories and their traditions. Now he is meeting a race he has studied but never met (save for a visit to an internment camp) Avikk finds them fascinating. However, despite his uneasy feelings towards the Horde at first, Avikk believes that the Horde is a necessity to the Forsaken, just as the Forsaken are a necessity to the Horde.

How does your character feel about the Wrathgate incident?

Avikk's feelings about the Wrathgate are twofold. He believes that the distribution of the Plague was a feat of technological and academical genius. However, he is also a practical man and thinks that all of this effort was not put to a beneficial application. He believes that the ends must justify the means, and the public backlash against the Forsaken overshadows the effort that they put into the concoction.

How does your character feel about the current state of the Horde?

Through his research into this histories of the Horde, Avikk believes Thrall to be a wise and competent leader, able to handle the rigors of leadership through diplomacy rather than simply brute strength. However, Avikk is also a pragmatist and believes that words are not what the Horde needs at this current point in time. Thrall, to him, is not a wartime leader. Garrosh on the other hand is an Orc who knows that in a time of war, weakness cannot be an option if a society is to survive and prosper, though his tactics may be considered brutal to some.
This is the same of Lady Sylvanas. Avikk believes her to be a wonderful leader, being able to inspire the Forsaken to strive for more than what they are simply given despite her ruthless tactics. They are a necessity and the Forsaken would not be as powerful if softer tactics had being used. The Val'kyr's resurrection of the useless dead is a stroke of genius. Nobody is using these empty vessels anymore and though a few with no hindsight would say it is against nature (even the otherwise capable leadership of Garrosh), they would go to waste otherwise.

Family:

Avikk has one half-brother that still lives, FitzDuncan Derrington, but where he is and whether he is a Human or a Forsaken at this point is unknown to him.

Character History:

Avikk Derrington was born to wealthy parents under the thatched roofs picket fences that outlined the town of Brill. His father, Alistair, was a Mage of Dalaran while his mother Mira was an ambassador's assistant and was always travelling across the length and breadth of the Human Kingdoms, leaving Avikk in the hands of Alistair and several other Mages in his early life. Alistair was a father with expectations of his son and drove to learn him his letters very quickly. Under their care and tutelage of this stern faced man, and his hours of being in a library, kindled a love of books and knowledge in Avikk that burns within him like the heart of a fire elemental to this very day.

Like his father before him, the signs of magical talent began to manifest in young Derrington and he was signed up for formal training at the Violet Citadel where he and the other initiates were trained in the use of their powers under the careful watch of the Magocrats.
A few months before Avikk was to complete his training and be assigned as an apprentice, Andiun Lothar and the refugees of Stormwind staggered into the shores of Lordaeron, marking the beginning of the Second War. At approximately the same time, Mira returned, dismissed from her duties as an assistant, to reveal that she was with child, FitzDuncan.
In disgust, Alistair volunteered for the War effort, disowning his wife and leaving everything he owned to Avikk. Alistair Derrington was killed in battle not long after, with his body unable to be recovered for burial or cremation.

Avikk completed his apprenticeship as a Mage, but instead of taking an apprentice of his own as expected, he chose to take a position in the Dalaran libraries. Seeking more knowledge of the world, he became the student of Verrick, a grey haired Scribe visiting the City and traveled with him from place to place across the Eastern Kingdoms for many years, despite the rumors of escaped Orcs plaguing the countryside. Verrick was a kind Master with an incredibly sharp mind. He was a frequent visitor to the gardens, libraries and lecturing halls of Lordaeron City and Avikk was never far from his heels, eagerly taking in the complex manners and intricate ways of ferreting knowledge from people. With Verrick's guidance, Avikk learned the art of Herbalism and with it how to create inks and poisons from the natural world. In his time spent within the City, Avikk attracted the attentions of a young woman named Rebecca, a messenger girl with eyes far more dazzling than even the surface of Lordamere Lake could conjure at sunset. Her fascination with the mysteries of the world and her knack of finding the beauty in mundane things charmed Avikk like nothing else had ever managed, and the two began their relationship. The young Scribe, blinded by the intoxication of young love, began to make impulsive decisions. Trips out into the countryside, elaborate gifts that had taken weeks of payment and melodramatic gestures of affection were common things in Avikk's life, and even though he knew that Verrick disapproved of the change in his apprentice's behaviour, Rebecca's smile and delight made it all worthwhile to him.

Sadly, this impulsiveness was to be Avikk's downfall. Avikk and Rebecca decided to spend their Winter's Veil in the coastal town of Southshore while the court fell quiet in the Winter period. As they strolled along the docks, a small gang (still staggering from the revelries in the nearby tavern) forgot their manners as gentlemen in their drunken stupor and accosted Rebecca. Avikk attempted to stop the men with the powers of the Arcane, but even in their drunken state the men were far larger than the Scribe. Though one was felled, he was knocked cold and fell backwards into the icy waters below the dock. Of all the lessons he had been taught across the years, Avikk had never learned to swim, and was found washed up along the beach hours later; he had drowned. He was returned to Brill and buried in the small graveyard, less than two hundred yards from where he was born.

Not long after the Cataclysm, Avikk awoke nearby in the village of Deathknell, a member of the Forsaken. His left leg had all but completely succumbed to rot and had to be replaced, while his skin had been ruptured where it had bloated in the water; the holes in his cheeks were the most noticeable damage. He was surprised to notice that though many of the memories of his old life did remain, he no longer possessed the elaborate love he once held in his heart for the messenger girl long ago. He was offered the chance to join the Horde and follow Sylvanas and ever being the follower of a good cause, Avikk accepted without a hitch. He left Deathknell and turned down the cobbled road leading to Brill, where his newfound purpose was sure to wait for him.

What skill set could your character bring to the guild?

Avikk is an experienced Scribe and is well versed in the histories and family trees of many areas of Azeroth. This could prove useful to anyone wishing to expand their knowledge of an area or of a particular person or family. He is also a former Mage and can conjure useful portals for transport, food for expeditions and the powers of the Arcane if he is ever to face combat.

How does your character respond to authority?

Throughout his life, Avikk has been a man of many masters and mentors, and has rarely been outside of the tutelage of other people, be they Scribes, Magicians or Nobles that his trade has led him to pledge his loyalty to. So much so that Avikk does not feel wholly comfortable when there is no guiding hand or authoritative figure guiding his actions. He is a follower and a loyal one at that, but experience has taught him that he must always be ready to question commands if the need may arise. The consequences of his actions must overshadow what he has done. So long as it is done for a good cause however, he has no quarrel with carrying out his master's duties.

TEST OF ABILITY:
VI) With the Lich King dead, the Forsaken lack a purpose.

For this question to be valid, it must be assumed that the Forsaken have always made the death of the Lich King to be their prime goal. However just like the Dwarves could be said to have the purpose of finding out about their Titan heritage, not all of the Forsaken would hold to this value, and those that do would hold other objectives of equal value at the same time.
Some, such as the Lady Sylvanas, have always made this their primary goal and of course her devout followers would mimic this also. But there have been many who have disagreed with Sylvanas and already created their own destinies with their freedom far before the Lich King's death (for example, Lenoid Barthalomew of the Argent Dawn).
Nevertheless, do the Forsaken as a collective have a purpose after the death of their former master? I believe they do indeed. Their integration into the Horde has passed simple convenience by now, despite what a few of the Forsaken would claim, and are crucial in keeping the North of the Eastern Kingdoms under the Horde's control.
If this is not purpose enough and we are speaking of merely selfish reasons for a purpose, survival of their race is one other cause they could not undertake. The Plague, specially designed to kill Human and Undead alike is a wonderful tool, and now that the Forsaken are rid of their former master's grip looming over them like a malevolent shadow, they are now free to move onto wider goals. Simple vengeance against their creator could only be their objective for so long after all. They are by now a new species altogether, neither Scourge nor Human. They have a right to stay within the world, but they must also fight to preserve it. Not only this, but like every Orc and Tauren that roams the land, the Forsaken have been given the right to find their own purpose, as they always have done. When first becoming awakened in the Deathknell graveyard, the newly risen are given a choice to do whatever they wish with their new unlife. Their purpose is left entirely up to them, and the goals of the Forsaken are an option that they can choose to follow if they so wish.
In summary, I believe the Forsaken still hold a purpose after the death of the Lich King. They have their commitments to the Horde, their devotion to keeping their race alive, to expand their borders and for power (either for the Banshee Queen or for the Horde in general) and have the power to forge their own purpose if none of the above options fit their desires.
Much like the Human they once were, the Forsaken will have a purpose. If one does not have one, then they will seek one out.

Application - Avikk Derrington. Gerian14

Thank you for reading my application and allow me to bid you very good morning, afternoon or evening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm

*looks around, hides under the Apothecary wing* Hush, noone seen it.

But yes, on serious note, I had a pleasure to encounter you in game yesterday, and I have nice impression left.
So, I, as usually, will let Geriand read through and give his opinion first, but from my hand, you are so in. :3
Back to top Go down
geriand

geriand

Character
Name: Garthar Farrow
Profession: Warrior
Level:
Application - Avikk Derrington. Left_bar_bleue80/80Application - Avikk Derrington. Empty_bar_bleue  (80/80)

PostSubject: Re: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Chloe has read it and said yes, I can only agree.
Your application was easy to read and well structured; this shows you care how we perceive you that makes you someone that we want!

Contact: Geriand, Viatrix, Anthraxius, Issalle? or Manners in game for your IC Interview (Which is really just a formality and not really needed because Chloe has already roleplayed with you.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Isaelle, Geri. *sighs* I think it's our new tradition in the applications, right?
Back to top Go down
geriand

geriand

Character
Name: Garthar Farrow
Profession: Warrior
Level:
Application - Avikk Derrington. Left_bar_bleue80/80Application - Avikk Derrington. Empty_bar_bleue  (80/80)

PostSubject: Re: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 pm

Chloe wrote:
Isaelle, Geri. *sighs* I think it's our new tradition in the applications, right?

I thought it added a nice touch of witty banter and showed we had personality? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2011 1:26 am

geriand wrote:

I thought it added a nice touch of witty banter and showed we had personality? Very Happy

Sure Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Application - Avikk Derrington.   Application - Avikk Derrington. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Application - Avikk Derrington.
Page 1 of 1