The Steamspur Company
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Steamspur Company

Roleplaying guild at Piken Square [EU]

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Marwonaeth

Marwonaeth

Character
Name: Nathan Black
Profession: Warlock
Level:
Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac Left_bar_bleue85/85Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac Empty_bar_bleue  (85/85)

Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac Empty
PostSubject: Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac   Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 9:36 am

Hello folks. Let me give you a brief background story of the following thread:
It was dark. It was Friday. And it was madness. Drodal and Marwonaeth just could stop. With unbound tenacity and released fury, they both sat in front of their monitors, typing away like revolting machines.
And so this was made, the ultimate list of event ideas to be used where-ever, and whenever, you feel like it. The first three were by me, the last two by Drodal (please, credit to the awesome guy who's no longer with us:( )

• New event structure - Win/lose conditions: This mean that whatever the event involves, there's a possibility of failure. For example: The Alliance assaults an outpost in the Plaguelands. They win the battle. What does this mean? They now control the outpost, possibly leading to a future event involving taking back this outpost. In a way, this is to provide material for further events, which could easily reach far into the future (e.g. "Hey, you remember that guard post we failed to take? Let's try again!"), or in the short tomorrow. It can vary, whatever feels right is right. This doesn't have to something small, though, it could easily be big and dangerous, like the Twilight Cultists assaulting the Agammand Mills, we fail at defending it, they now have a good source of attacking Brill, Deathknell and maybe even the Undercity.
    It could also be incorporated in cross-guild, or even cross-faction, where the outcome of the battle(s) depend on who do well, and who doesn't do well. It's a very interest topic in my opinion, and it would broaden the potential -and- enjoyment of future events. /discuss

• Stealthier events: I am sure you have experienced it at least once - you plan an event to be a storm on something, six people turn up to storm this heavily guarded fortress. What do you do? Rush head-on. Beep.
    I have myself tried to make an event 'stealthy' (the Sludge-fen event), though it has never really been successful. Why? Because people are used to rush-head on. When we've done raids on villages or the likes in the past, it's always head-on. But what if we attack grand fortress with odds 10:1? Stealth is a necessity, without a doubt, but I believe that's a major thing we've missed. But how would we use it? I'd suggest that we use the win/lose thing mentioned above, whereas people just charge in, we fail. But it could be helped along with stricter GM-ing, as in putting penalties on people charging in... There's a few way of doing, and I'm almost certain we'll each come up with a way of making it happen, because it would be an awesome touch to our events. It'd include whispering, too.

• Doom-day themed events: Something terrible has happened. It's raining meteors from the sky, the Alliance is invading the Undercity and half of our force has turned against us. CHAOS. This could be an interesting thing to have -once in a while-, and I have underlined it for a reason. We're not living in Gotham, after all, peace do happen. However, when chaos do occur, why not RP it? It could be anything, really. But how would it be done? Through a variety of ways. It could be done in a champion-styled (by Drodal) fashion, where one fights a big challenge, and the others fight minor stuff, which has an impact on the 'champions' success. Or, it could be arranged in groups of five, where one is appointed 'raidwarning leader', aka relaying events. As stated, a huge variety of ways. Again, it would be cool to see some personal touches here and there!

• Moral choices.

In addition to the previously mentioned win/lose conditions, moral choices inserted into the events would have an affect later on in an on-going storyline. The idea would follow something like this: A short term advantage would be presented that may cause a disadvantage in some way further down the line. However, the second choice is that while things will be easier in the long term scheme of things, the event at the time would become more difficult for the participants.
    I would recommend the choices not to be classed as Good and Evil. There are a lot of morally questionable people within The Spine who may choose Evil as a principle. Rather they be viewed as a test of character, and the choices may have positive or negative effects. For people who did not attend the event, the choice would be put on the forums for everyone else to see, and could result in potential character development should they choose to.
    Last but not least, it will give the attendants a feeling of shaping the storyline and make a contribution to the guild as a whole, rather than being lead by the nose through a set of battles.

• The six and twenty sided dice.

Rolling is a fantastic implementation into events and has a wide variety of success and failure. However it could be an idea to try it as original tabletop die, by making the rolls out of 6 or out of 20. The lower rolls give a larger chance to succeed or fail in actions taken at the extreme ends (e.g more critical failures and successes). This can give enemies in stealth events a sense of threat. Useful for when people attending the event need a reason to stay hidden. If they decide to come out and try and roll against the creatures, there will be a high risk of them having their character fail and become injured or losing the event. It would also stack the dice against the players, making any enemy seem threatening and not able to just charge in and be the Big Damn Heroes.

Have an idea of your own? Tell me in reply, and I will review it. Is it worthy, I will add it to this shiny list!
Back to top Go down
Josephus

Josephus

PostSubject: Re: Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac   Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:47 pm

I like it, to me it also feels like we're missing one crucial element of RP.

Fear.

Yes we're Forsaken and are thus immune to the mind overwhelming fear effects but we can still be scared of certain things!

I've noticed time and time again that there is a real lack of fear against Scarlets, people concider them to be at most equal to us.
But these are people who train just to kill -us-
They are the rock to our scissors, the Blastoise to our Charizard and should be treated as such.

I think with current events we are all too powerfull to create the illusion of potentialy losing.
We're all being allowed to reach deep into our mind and take out whatever we want, from superhuman abilities to futuristic weapons.
Of course we'll charge in headfirst when we wear full elementium plated armor and use unstoppable weapons..

So yeah, I'd welcome some doomsday where all our super abilities are useless, missions where if discovered you instantly fail and moral decissions that require you to -think- before acting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac   Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 am

*places the stamp "Agree" under both posts*

Twenty times that.

Else, it all looks pretty nice to me and most of all I would love to see more usage of 6/20 dice rolling. It's better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac   Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marwonaeth's Magnificent Almanac
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Steamspur Company :: The Spine :: The Harrowed Archive-
Jump to: